Our foodbank services are provided on a referral-only basis for those who are in financial crisis and have no other way of accessing food.

How to get a food voucher

We know that anyone can find themselves at crisis point for a number of different reasons.

We work with local agencies because we want to provide you with the most appropriate help for your situation. If the local agency feels you are struggling to put food on the table, they will issue you with a food e-voucher, which you can show at the foodbank. So, if you need a food voucher, you should contact the local agency that you deal with. The local agency can also provide long term support, if needed, to help address some of the issues behind the reasons for your crisis. 

When you contact a local agency, they will take some basic details from you to complete the voucher. This will help them to identify the cause of your crisis and offer practical guidance. It also means we are able to prepare suitable emergency food for the right number of people.

Once you have been issued with an e-voucher number, you can show this at your nearest foodbank centre and you will be given a minimum of three days of emergency food.

Our foodbank works with a number of different agencies, including charities, the NHS and the City of Edinburgh Council. To find out more about the agencies that hold our vouchers and how you can get help, please contact us.

Registering as an e-referral agent

Please contact the office if you work for a referral agency and would like to register to make referrals. We use the Trussell Trust Foodbank Database and you will need to be registered to use this system. If you do wish to be registered, you will need to complete an application form, available from the office. Please note that we do not accept referrals by email or text.